Medical Health Professionals

General Practitioner (GP) – is concerned with the general health of your child and can advise and arrange further examinations by specific clinicians.

Paediatrician – a doctor who specialises in working with babies, children/young people. They are usually the professional who refers your child on to any other specialists that they may need to see.

Ophthalmologist – eye doctor who specialises in eye conditions and helps with diagnosis and treatment. They may treat eye conditions with medicines or surgery.

Optometrist – trained to detect abnormal eye conditions and defects. They report to the Ophthalmologist when they detect an abnormal ocular condition. They prescribe glasses to treat eyesight defects.

Orthoptist – assesses the development of vision and treats eye movement disorders, most commonly squints.

Optician – is someone who dispenses glasses following an assessment of the level of sight. They usually have high street practices and can be a local source of answers to concerns you may have.

Speech and Language Therapist- helps those who may have difficulties with the development of language and communication, they can also offer advice on feeding and swallowing difficulties.

Occupational Therapist (OT) – is aware of the unique educational needs of the visually impaired child especially around sensory and motor skills. They can provide advice on equipment and adaptions to promote independence.

Eye Clinic Liaison Officer (ECLO) – based in some eye clinics and are there to give support and information at the time of diagnosis. They can provide information about eye condition, registration, benefits and information about local services and support groups.

Physiotherapist – can suggest routines to help development; crawling, walking, posture, and ways to encourage movement confidently in your child. They can give advice on developing good muscle tone and aids to help development.