Local Health Trust Services, Education and Charities

The Health Visitor – is a trained nurse who may be able to provide you with names and contact details of support in your area. The health visitor normally visits you and your child at home and can be very supportive and helpful getting your GP to take further action

Social Worker – a Social Worker may be allocated to you and may be able to help with any problems with regard the whole family, which may arise in the early months of diagnosis. The social worker may be from the Children with Disabilities Team.

Rehabilitation/Habilitation Specialist – both these specialists will help train your child in mobility, orientation and life skills. The skills and strategies taught by these professionals will help your visually impaired child develop in line with their sighted peers, helping them achieve their best possible developmental outcomes

The Educational Psychologist – is the person who will assess your child/young person’s learning needs and social skills and often co-ordinates assessments for Statements of educational needs. They usually become involved with child after the age of two.

SENCO – this is a staff member in school who co-ordinates all the special educational needs provision for your child. They will liaise closely with the QTVI and the class teacher to make sure the child’s needs are being met.

Guide Dogs NI – Children & Young People team offer guidance, Habilitation and support up to 25yrs of age.                      

RNIBNI (Royal national Institute for the Blind) – Range of services available to support both VI child and family.                                        

Tiny Life, Child Brain Injury, Brain Injury Matters, SENSE NI, Mencap - the list of other charities that may be able to help is extensive, ask those services that you are already involved with for help and guidance around this.